- Don’t talk to the older person when he/she is drinking. If evening is the usual drinking time, talk earlier in the day.
- Be gentle and loving. Avoid a confrontational style. Bring up the person’s good qualities and the happy memories you have together.
- Avoid the words “alcoholic” or “drug addict” since they carry a heavy stigma. If they feel that they are “bad,” they may retreat into resignation and even more solitary drinking.
- Don’t bother pouring alcohol down the sink or throwing away tranquilizers. If older persons are not ready to get help, they will simply replenish the supply.
- Do not dig up painful events from the past. Focus on the effects alcohol and prescriptions are having now.
- Keep in mind the person’s age and ability to understand. Instead of talking things out in one session, you may have to bring up the subject a little bit at a time. He/she may try to use old age as an excuse not to address the problem. Keep talking consistently and patiently without undue pressure.
- Be direct. Sometimes we coddle an older person like a child. Treat the person as an adult.
- Be specific. Present the facts in a straightforward manner, such as, “I’ve noticed that you drink almost a full bottle of wine over the course of an evening” instead of, “You’re always drunk.” Use “I” phrases, such as, “I noticed,” or “I’m worried,” since the older person can’t argue with your feelings.
- Talk about the effect of alcohol or drug use on whatever the older person cares about most: what other people are saying, health, or memory loss. For example, they may have given up on themselves, but still care very deeply about their grandchildren.
- Don’t worry if you don’t say things perfectly. The suggestions that follow are just guidelines. The most important thing is that you express your concern with love, gentleness and respect.
For more information call our Director of Outreach at 203-733-4524
You may also call our main office at (203) 792-4515.
Or request information using our confidential online form.
Different medicaments approachable from the Web to why to waste day and effort going to chemist’s shop if you can lightly order medications sit at home. There are sundry cases when men should get drugs online. Discount medicine services allow consumers to gain access to their prescriptions at a fraction of the cost. Sundry drugs are used to treat symptoms of Parkinson’s disease, such as poor muscle control. The drug is used together with other drugs to treat symptoms of Parkinson’s disease. There were only some examples. If you’re concerned about erectile disorder, you have to know about cialis generic best price. What is the most considerable information you should consider about price Comparison? Like all other drugs, Cialis is classified according of it’s main ingredient. No doubts, sexual diseases can help depression and, even more importantly, can leave you and your partner feeling discouraged. Diabetes, venous leak, anxiety, and some remedies can reduce your interest in sex. Stress affects all facets of being including sexual health. One way to resolve sexual dysfunction is to make several onefold lifestyle changes, another is therapy. As with any natural activity, a rested body increases performance. Like all medicines, Cialis have many unwanted effects. Online sex therapist services are the only safe variant if you are going to purchase drugs, like Cialis, online.